Some Features of the Architecture and Building
The style is early English Gothic, with enclosed flying buttresses. The architect was William Tappin (1854-1905) and the builder of the first stage Thomas Cockram and Son. The contract price was £31,385. For the second stage, the architects involved were Alan Ralton and Frank Turner, and building was by direct labour under a superintendent of works.
The foundations consist of granite from Harcourt, near Bendigo. The walls are constructed of sandstone (Barrabool and Ceres from the Geelong region). Dressings and carvings are of limestone from Waurn Ponds in the original section, and from Mt Gambier in the new section. The floor is Calacatta Vagli Extra marble from Italy.
The nave has a hammer beam roof. Oregon and kauri paneling is used in the nave ceiling and most of the others, with mouldings of yellow and sugar pine and panels of King William pine. A stained glass window made by John Hardman & Co. of Birmingham occupies a large part of the western end of the building.
Width of nave and aisles:
Width across the transepts:
Height of ceiling of the nave:
Height of main spire:
Height of front lantern towers:
Total area within walls:
86.64 metres (from floor level to top of cross)
2191.58 square metres